Welcome to the 42 Amsterdam multiserver.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demo combiner

Demo combiner

Good news everyone

As everyone already know - on 42 - all recorded demos ...are split into parts
    This is not without a reason ...
    The game is old and buggy ... so when some players get bad time ...and will de-sync - demo will get damaged...
    to avoid that - at some point were decided to limit the demo time ...(better have 1 damaged part ...than the whole demo)
    At the moment - each recorded demo part - is 3 minutes long.

Well .. recently ...i've created a remedy to the fragmentation of the demos ...
    From now on - every downloaded demo file with multiple parts - will have an application inside allowing you to combine the parts
    into single demo file (i'm sure - who is recording a video - would appreciate it

The zipped file - is all the same - just 2 more items present:

Name:  20181202KV4R4WzM.png
Views: 0
Size:  36.8 KB

directory /tools
    with an application inside - 42DemoFileCombiner.exe
    and a windows batch file to run it - combine_demos.bat

When you run the combine_demos.bat it will initiate the combining application ...and all demos inside unzipped directory will be combined into single file
    note :
    only 42amsterdam name formatted files will be used in process

Name:  20181203wNNNS80z.png
Size:  30.5 KB

Resulting file - will be the combination of all demos inside directory - good for longer playback.
    If any of the demos are broken - you still get a half broken demo. It will not fix anything ...

My best advise - - check the demos manually - if they are all fine - then you can combine them
    If not - remove the broken one ...AND all demos after it ... (well ..move them to other place atleast)
    you can combine demos after broken part later

------------------------------------------------------
    The program file included - is an open source one - you can download source code here - https://42amsterdam.net/samforum/dow...do=file&id=520
    there are both original PHP and eventual C++ transcoded versions available
    Would not do any good combining other than 42 demos - but as a part of other projects...
    feel free to use it ...

There is a little but
    Demos generated on 42 prior 30 Nov 2018 ...are a bit out of sync ...each part is missing few frames...
    so when combining old demos - you'll get a few messages in the game log - about sync ...

Name:  20181201877Nc0gI.png
Size:  9.0 KB

Demos generated after 30 Nov - are perfectly sync .... and should give not errors whatsoever...
    "correcton: ...demos generated after 2nd December 15:00 CET.... on SE there were still some missing frames"
    Last edited by Ostap; 28-04-2019 at 10:44.
    ....... Always Look On The Bright Side of Life

Quote Originally Posted by Ostap View Post
    Good news everyone

As everyone already know - on 42 - all recorded demos ...are split into parts
    This is not without a reason ...
    The game is old and buggy ... so when some players get bad time ...and will de-sync - demo will get damaged...
    to avoid that - at some point were decided to limit the demo time ...(better have 1 damaged part ...than the whole demo)
    At the moment - each recorded demo part - is 3 minutes long.

Well .. recently ...i've created a remedy to the fragmentation of the demos ...
    From now on - every downloaded demo file with multiple parts - will have an application inside allowing you to combine the parts
    into single demo file (i'm sure - who is recording a video - would appreciate it

The zipped file - is all the same - its just there are 2 more items present:

Name:  20181202KV4R4WzM.png
Size:  36.8 KB

directory /tools
    with an application inside - 42DemoFileCombiner.exe
    and a windows batch file to run it - combine_demos.bat

When you run the combine_demos.bat it will initiate the combining application ...and all demos inside unzipped directory will be combined into single file
    note :
    only 42amsterdam name formatted files will be used in process

Name:  20181203wNNNS80z.png

Resulting file - will be the combination of all demos inside directory - good for longer playback.
    If any of the demos are broken - you still get a half broken demo. It will not fix anything ...

My best advise - - check the demos manually - if they are all fine - then you can combine them
    If not - remove the broken one ...AND all demos after it ... (well ..move them to other place atleast)
    you can combine demos after broken part later

------------------------------------------------------
    The program file included - is an open source one - you can download source code here - https://42amsterdam.net/samforum/dow...do=file&id=520
    there are both original PHP and eventual C++ transcoded versions available
    Would not do any good combining other than 42 demos - but as a part of other projects...
    feel free to use it ...

There is a little but
    Demos generated on 42 prior 30 Nov 2018 ...are a bit out of sync ...each part is missing few frames...
    so when combining old demos - you'll get a few messages in the game log - about sync ...

Name:  20181201877Nc0gI.png
Size:  9.0 KB

Demos generated after 30 Nov - are perfectly sync .... and should give not errors whatsoever...
    "correcton: ...demos generated after 2nd December 15:00 CET.... on SE there were still some missing frames"

Hi Ostap, I have seen this thread a few months ago. There would be other threads I have to respond, but I don't have much time.

Ok, I think that as a Demo Combiner was released... Another tool to work in the opposite way is needed.

It would be a little OT, but there is an issue with demos from some maps. Some ones get de-synced and their variants not.

Little Trouble is indeed a BIG trouble when watching demos.

I have found 2007 demos of 1.05 that get de-synced after 1min 40secs on LT and there is no way to re-sync them!

Paradoxically, demos from Shotty Trouble played on 1.05 can be watched on a 1.07 copy of the game. [FALSE! See below]

I thought it was a dll issue, because there are some demos from another website I couldn't watch on Yodeller. After installing Fix42, they got re-synced!

This also happened to an old demo from 2015 (or 2016) when I played on PRO - Multimap* server with GrandPa from Germany and other casual people. I remember there were several corrupted parts, but I was watching them on another notebook. When I transferred that archive onto my netbook, last year, I was able to re-watch that demo. Same for another demo in Hole.

But this isn't the case of Little Trouble... I think there is an error on the map itself. Yes, it sometimes happens to Fortress (there is an old thread here with a de-synced demo published by Bloodnowsky, back in early 2017), but it is rare.

Then, my guess is that it couldn't be a dll issue for sure. Heh, after 6+ years I play SS multiplayer, I'm still noob and ignorant about this!
    Looks like you have to draw another flow chart on how demo recordings work in Sam code!

So, a tool for splitting demos (that I assume it already exists) could help. But this tool must be customized, like: I want to split a demo in n parts of 1 min duration, or 30 secs duration, 2 mins, 5 mins, etc... So the de-synced parts could be cut out and then rebuild the entire demo with this Demo Combiner.

What do you think about this?

*That demo was recorded on Little Trouble as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Paradoxically, demos from Shotty Trouble played on 1.05 can be watched on a 1.07 copy of the game.
    Ok, I wrote a fake news: the 1.05 demo of Shotty Trouble on 1.07 installation gets de-synced after 7 mins 15 secs. On the 1.05 installation it plays flawless, but LT demos are still de-synced.
    Last edited by Marco; 17-03-2019 at 16:47.

Demo Split ?

good idea - i'll make one later

So, a tool for splitting demos (that I assume it already exists) could help. But this tool must be customized, like: I want to split a demo in n parts of 1 min duration, or 30 secs duration, 2 mins, 5 mins, etc... So the de-synced parts could be cut out and then rebuild the entire demo with this Demo Combiner.

What do you think about this?

Splitting will work as you described .... by 1 min ...30sec ...whatever ...
    but you wont be able to glue them together after you'll identify the broken one ... - ANYTHING AFTER the broken part - need to be combined separately ....as separate demo ....it cannot be added to the previous part !

Splitting will work as you described .... by 1 min ...30sec ...whatever ...
    but you wont be able to glue them together after you'll identify the broken one ... - ANYTHING AFTER the broken part - need to be combined separately ....as separate demo ....it cannot be added to the previous part !
    So after splitting and combining, resulting in a creation of 2 different demos, will I get the popup "Missing frames" you showed in the first screenshot, then?

Sorry, me and my zone have been 18 days without telephone/internet line and I read this just a few days ago.

No problem for having different demo parts: I'd prefer 2-3 working demos with a duration of 7mins or 3min30secs per part rather than a corrupted one of 14 mins.

So after splitting and combining, resulting in a creation of 2 different demos, will I get the popup "Missing frames" you showed in the first screenshot, then?

Sorry, me and my zone have been 18 days without telephone/internet line and I read this just a few days ago.

No problem for having different demo parts: I'd prefer 2-3 working demos with a duration of 7mins or 3min30secs per part rather than a corrupted one of 14 mins.
    Inside demo there are recorded frames ....each one has time tick stamp. When just few ticks are missing - you'll get the "missing frame" message (even a single one)
    When more than few are missing - demo will simply freeze ...until end.

As you said - after splitting to remove bad part - you'll get 2 demos ...... working ...no missing frames ...no warnings

Inside demo there are recorded frames ....each one has time tick stamp. When just few ticks are missing - you'll get the "missing frame" message (even a single one)
    When more than few are missing - demo will simply freeze ...until end.

As you said - after splitting to remove bad part - you'll get 2 demos ...... working ...no missing frames ...no warnings

Aaah, then it is ok. Thanks.

Actually - after all ...
    You gave me an idea ....

Why not break recording of demo once bad sync is detected ? (and maybe mark it somehow ....that next demo is bad..)
    then when all players have good sync - start recording again new demo ....

This way bad syncs will be isolated automatically

I think this idea has some sound ... i'll check into it

Actually - after all ...
    You gave me an idea ....

Why not break recording of demo once bad sync is detected ? (and maybe mark it somehow ....that next demo is bad..)
    then when all players have good sync - start recording again new demo ....

This way bad syncs will be isolated automatically

I think this idea has some sound ... i'll check into it
    I think this is a realtime solution to apply server-side when demos automatically start recording.

If you want to make a try with an already recorded demo, try this one from last night.

Name:  Lendru_vs_Jack.png
Size:  16.2 KB

Part 5 is corrupted after a few seconds. Basically the tool should locate when players re-sync again at only part 5. But still, you will need to cut at least after 10-15 seconds part 5 has started.

Or how is your tool supposed to locate desyncing and then resyncing inside a whole demo?

Hmm, I think we are now talking about 2 different things.

PS: I don't get why the screen says "Little Trouble", whether Jack and Lendru were playing on Fortress...

I think this is a realtime solution to apply server-side when demos automatically start recording.

If you want to make a try with an already recorded demo, try this one from last night.

Name:  Lendru_vs_Jack.png
Size:  16.2 KB

Part 5 is corrupted after a few seconds. Basically the tool should locate when players re-sync again at only part 5. But still, you will need to cut at least after 10-15 seconds part 5 has started.

Or how is your tool supposed to locate desyncing and then resyncing inside a whole demo?

Hmm, I think we are now talking about 2 different things.

PS: I don't get why the screen says "Little Trouble", whether Jack and Lendru were playing on Fortress...
    We are talking about two different things
    I meant - while demo is recording ...... server does know when de-sync occur
    Not afterwards

or ...
    during demo recording simply drop into text file times when de-sync is present ...
    when combining - this could be used to cut at those places

Good news everyone

There is "Bad-sync" filter now implemented in demo combiner!

How it works:

During demo recording - server checks if there are any bad-syncs
    when detected - it will record them into a CSV file (.bst file with same name as demo)

Name:  1d210225.png
Size:  11.8 KB

Recorded data:
    • Client ID
    • Sequence Index (time tick - there are 20 ticks in a second)
    • Bad Sync Counter

as you can see - right at the begin - player with index 1 - had some struggle .... few bad syncs ...then good ...again few bad syncs ...good again .... 14 bad syncs ....eventually it counted up to 1200 ..and he got disconnected

Name:  e64bdb83.png
Size:  8.9 KB

When combining (click the "combine_demos_no_bad_sync.bat") - and when bad sync records are present - demo will be cut at that point

Result of combining - will be few playable files without any bad syncs...

Name:  5bd1b7a4.png

Here are some examples of how bad sync may be distributed across demo parts and how demos are combined:

In case of "single damaged demo file":

Name:  ac82387a.png
Size:  7.7 KB

In case of "few overlapping damaged demo files - variant 1"

Name:  501d45a1.png
Size:  8.4 KB

In case of "few overlapping damaged demo files - variant 2"

Name:  72774b01.png
Size:  9.1 KB

Good part of this filtering - sequences until the first bad sync will be included in working demo
    bad part - all sequences in current demo after bad sync section - cannot be re-combined - so if bad sync happens just 10 sec
    after demo part starts - total loss is 2m 50 sec ...problem with re-combining in this case ...is that header of each source demo contains snapshot of the world ...when de-synced sequences are removed - anything behind - becomes invalid relative to the world condition when bad-sync started.
    (to fix it a bit ....i'll check the possibility to lower recording time to 1-2 minutes to minimize the loss)

Note: file "combine_demos_no_bad_sync.bat" will be added to the zip archive only if there were bad syncs recorded ...(demos recorded before 21-apr-2019 10:00 - will have none)

Or maybe better solution would be "flush" demo recording after bad-sync are gone for more than 3 seconds for example...
    This would allow to harvest good sequences that otherwise would be lost
    Last edited by Ostap; 17-03-2021 at 20:43.

Or maybe better solution would be "flush" demo recording after bad-sync are gone for more than 3 seconds for example...
    This would allow to harvest good sequences that otherwise would be lost
    Done

Now demo part containing bad-syncs will be flushed (stopped and started again) ...after 2 seconds last bad sequence were recorded.
    So .. theoretically - maximal lost time when only one player had bad sync - would be 62 seconds (assuming he will play till disconnected)

here is a first example of one:

Name:  3a3a8542.png
Size:  42.4 KB
    Last edited by Ostap; 22-04-2019 at 01:20.

Wow, good job Ostap!

I'm quite surprised that, with your last version of Demo Combiner, didn't find any bad sync in that demo I posted earlier at reply #9.

I mean, after I upgraded Fix42Mod to latest version, and then combined the demo, I didn't lose any part. The demo worked 100% with no desyncing.

I have another question now: if ".dem" files are archives where Serious Engine saves thousand frames in (while recording), how have you been able to "open" a demo archive and see that?

I'm quite surprised that, with your last version of Demo Combiner, didn't find any bad sync in that demo I posted earlier at reply #9.
    I mean, after I upgraded Fix42Mod to latest version, and then combined the demo, I didn't lose any part. The demo worked 100% with no desyncing.
    It shouldn't .... that demo has no "bad-sync" times recorded .... frankly - i'm not sure how it got better

I have another question now: if ".dem" files are archives where Serious Engine saves thousand frames in (while recording), how have you been able to "open" a demo archive and see that?
    Demo is not an archive ....its a binary file with bunch of data dumped into it ....(world state and all the player/monster actions that were present during the game)
    If you know the structure of file - its not a problem to read it (structure of the file you can derive from C++ code in distributed 1.10 SDK of the game)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information