Welcome to the 42 Amsterdam multiserver.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have to correct a bit my previous post above.

I've been looking at Windows-1252 code table this afternoon. I even opened the SDK, where MS Sans Serif is mentioned (althought the console font is actually DejaVu Sans Mono).

Then I took a look again to both latin and cyrillic tables (tex console files).

The problem is the font file, the .fnt.

I tested quickly the original latin font with cyrillc table in .tex format. Letters were still cyrillic, but they got messed up (like the э in the place of the а...), some of them weren't visible anymore because latin table doesn't replenish the whole 10th row (and the cyrillic one does, ending in я).

Also, when you open both .fnt files with Notepad++ you will notice they have different shape.

About my patch: looks like my editing also affects grave accent when you open the console:

Attachment 6815

You can notice a Ё before the directory.

I've tried some programs for .fnt files making, but they give a different encoding to the new file and I get the Chunk ID error again.

Whoever made the original patch.... how the hell did he do? I can't find an fnt editor SeriousSam-compatible on the whole web!

If I open this font file on Visual C++ 6.0, I get series of numbers, like it was a SNES ROM decompiled in hex, but I have NO idea on what to change. Only 2 freaking slots must be replenished for that Ё. I want to generate a font that recognizes chars BEYOND 10th line, like this:

Name:  Console1.bmp
Views: 0
Size:  64.1 KB

If it is true that Serious Sam used Windows-1252 code page, it must support up to 256 characters. Indeed we get only 160 here (cyrillic version; latin version even some less!).

Also, I forgot to give thanks to Sniper for the instructions he gave me for writing a text in cyrillic by using /Say(), when I wrote the README to explain how to do it I didn't quote him. I apologize for that!

Thanks to you I'm adding gradually words and simple sentences in persistent symbols (or writing in cyrillic letter-per-letter would become slow, long and unconvenient),
    like:

persistent extern CTString chtoto="что-то";
    persistent extern CTString jaznju="я знаю";
    persistent extern CTString janznju="я не знаю";
    persistent extern CTString privtpaol="привет Паоло";

etc...

The important is not to insert numbers and not to use "on" (or the game will refuse to start, because that persistent symbol is already in use). I overridden this by changing it with "herus" (abbreviation for "-he- in russian"):

persistent extern CTString herus="он";

That's all for now.

shithappens
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Also, I forgot to give thanks to Sniper for the instructions he gave me for writing a text in cyrillic by using /Say(), when I wrote the README to explain how to do it I didn't quote him. I apologize for that!

Thanks to you I'm adding gradually words and simple sentences in persistent symbols (or writing in cyrillic letter-per-letter would become slow, long and unconvenient),
    like:

persistent extern CTString chtoto="что-то";
    persistent extern CTString jaznju="я знаю";
    persistent extern CTString janznju="я не знаю";
    persistent extern CTString privtpaol="привет Паоло";

etc...

The important is not to insert numbers and not to use "on" (or the game will refuse to start, because that persistent symbol is already in use). I overridden this by changing it with "herus" (abbreviation for "-he- in russian"):

persistent extern CTString herus="он";
    Why((( Don't do this to the poor PersistentSymbols.ini, at least put it in a separate script in Scripts/Commands....... it's really better to type only letters, tomorrow or the day after that you may forget the 1000 different ways to write some specific word (especially when you skip letters like this) and then in the end deciding to write it letter by letter again anyway (unless you have these stuff on paper every time you type lol)... it is indeed long but i have to use it until i find better method to do it.... I have been working on something massive that I gave up some time ago because it didn't work... but maybe I will get back to it)

Here is a small part of it:

Spoiler Spoiler:

It was supposed to work, but this game works in weird ways.... now imagine this block but duplicated over 10 times and with me changing the number on the variable EVERY time.... it took some repetition (maybe 2 hours to make entire script)

Prepare to laugh so loud at this: I didn't even noticed that Serious Sam had its proper tool for font tables inside Bin folder.... and I didn't see that until yesterday!!!!

MakeFont.exe works on DOS, so I opened it from cmd.... and I can't create the new font map! I followed another tutorial by Angelo here, but my fonts are all messed up once the new fnt has been created. The only working dimensions are 8px width and 10px height. The rest won't work, or letters, numbers and symbols are at least where they are not supposed to be (quoting marks instead of spaces, the capitol M in the place of e, etc..). If I set 128 128 when making the font, ALL characters from console do show the entire table I put on txt file, so I'll see big squares with all table repeating when opening console....

I don't know what am I doing wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Supersniper98 View Post
    Why((( Don't do this to the poor PersistentSymbols.ini, at least put it in a separate script in Scripts/Commands....... it's really better to type only letters, tomorrow or the day after that you may forget the 1000 different ways to write some specific word (especially when you skip letters like this) and then in the end deciding to write it letter by letter again anyway (unless you have these stuff on paper every time you type lol)... it is indeed long but i have to use it until i find better method to do it.... I have been working on something massive that I gave up some time ago because it didn't work... but maybe I will get back to it)

Here is a small part of it:

Spoiler Spoiler:

It was supposed to work, but this game works in weird ways.... now imagine this block but duplicated over 10 times and with me changing the number on the variable EVERY time.... it took some repetition (maybe 2 hours to make entire script)
    Yes, I could forget one day... But why wasting paper when I can just press ALT+TAB and open another text file where I copied them in?

And how could I load my abbreviations from Scripts\Commands? As an add-on?

And about your own script... Heh, you couldn't imagine me while editing in 6542365774846268767417823 different ways Console1.txt to get it working. I even tried an Hex editor, nothing helps...

If this thread was opened on GameZone, it would have been already moved to Hall of Fame...

shithappens
    MakeFont.exe works on DOS, so I opened it from cmd.... and I can't create the new font map! I followed another tutorial by Angelo here, but my fonts are all messed up once the new fnt has been created. The only working dimensions are 8px width and 10px height. The rest won't work, or letters, numbers and symbols are at least where they are not supposed to be (quoting marks instead of spaces, the capitol M in the place of e, etc..). If I set 128 128 when making the font, ALL characters from console do show the entire table I put on txt file, so I'll see big squares with all table repeating when opening console....

I don't know what am I doing wrong....
    Why not just download Revolution and use Angelo's tool FontGenRev.exe and create font for 5 sec? Put it in Bin and it will execute properly with right parameters MakeFont.exe and the result will be - your font... and there are numerous fonts to choose from and you can edit their charset (what symbols should it include) and also choose from already available presets (Alphanum, Extended etc) but some fonts may have a problem)

Here I will provide you with link, good luck:
    https://mega.nz/#!WqJUlASB!ywcAXjuV3...CUEA4Mdhuedhms

--- Edit 1:

Ok I actually don't know how to make it work, but if you can look at it maybe you will figure it out...

--- Edit 2:

Nevermind, after small consultation with ZDZICHU who has used this stuff before, he showed me how to use it (because I got until a point where I did not know what to do)

So first open the tool ... setup your font... (don't close the tool until you get .fnt file)
    After click on "Save" and don't worry about errors, just click Continue...... don't worry about ImageMagick you don't need it as well...
    In the Bin directory (where you should put your FontGenRev.exe) you will find a Font.png (or whatever name you put in box above the Save button) - convert it to TGA (online converters etc).... then toss it in SED and make texture from that TGA (make sure size is below or equal to 1024x1024 otherwise you will have to split it in the charset)
    Later (this is the part where i got stuck) copy your charset into a a txt with the same name as the texture (without changing anything in the layout/order etc!) and put it where the texture is.... then click on the button Make Font and specify the location of the tex file (again ignore error and press continue) and then you will get a ".fnt" file in the same directory
    Then rename it to whatever you need (for example Console1.fnt, Title2.fnt etc) and copy-paste it as many times as you need in the Fonts directory together with the .tex file just like it is in the game.
    Make sure you export Fonts from the gro and into the main dir (back it up if you want) and remove it from the gro to avoid any conflicts with the new font... then replace files in there because it is easier

Sorry for the messy explanation, but hopefully you will figure it out
    For example I did a font just for test with extended+cyrillic charset just for test and it works) I used this layout with 1024 width and 512 height for the texture:

Code:
     !"#$%&'()*+,-./012345678
    9:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
    RSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghij
    klmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~¡¢£¤¥
    ¦§¨©ª«¬®°±²³´µ¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿À
    ÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙ
    ÚÛÜÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñò
    óôõö÷øùúûüýþÿŒœŠšŸŽžƒˆ°˜–
    ‘’‚“”„†‡•…‰‹›°€™*/ЯВЕРТЪУ
    ИОПШЩЮАСДФГХЙКЛЗЬЦЖБНМяве
    ртъуиопшщюасдфгхйклзьцжбн
    мЫЭыэЍѝҮүЇїҚқӘәҐґ
    -- Edit 3:

So......... it actually doesn't work with renames - create each font file from texture named appropriately (Numbers3, Title2, Console1 etc) and it should work then)
    Last edited by Supersniper98; 25-08-2019 at 22:46.

Why not just download Revolution and use Angelo's tool FontGenRev.exe and create font for 5 sec? Put it in Bin and it will execute properly with right parameters MakeFont.exe and the result will be - your font... and there are numerous fonts to choose from and you can edit their charset (what symbols should it include) and also choose from already available presets (Alphanum, Extended etc) but some fonts may have a problem)

Here I will provide you with link, good luck:
    https://mega.nz/#!WqJUlASB!ywcAXjuV3...CUEA4Mdhuedhms

--- Edit 1:

Ok I actually don't know how to make it work, but if you can look at it maybe you will figure it out...

--- Edit 2:

Nevermind, after small consultation with ZDZICHU who has used this stuff before, he showed me how to use it (because I got until a point where I did not know what to do)

So first open the tool ... setup your font... (don't close the tool until you get .fnt file)
    After click on "Save" and don't worry about errors, just click Continue...... don't worry about ImageMagick you don't need it as well...
    In the Bin directory (where you should put your FontGenRev.exe) you will find a Font.png (or whatever name you put in box above the Save button) - convert it to TGA (online converters etc).... then toss it in SED and make texture from that TGA (make sure size is below or equal to 1024x1024 otherwise you will have to split it in the charset)
    Later (this is the part where i got stuck) copy your charset into a a txt with the same name as the texture (without changing anything in the layout/order etc!) and put it where the texture is.... then click on the button Make Font and specify the location of the tex file (again ignore error and press continue) and then you will get a ".fnt" file in the same directory
    Then rename it to whatever you need (for example Console1.fnt, Title2.fnt etc) and copy-paste it as many times as you need in the Fonts directory together with the .tex file just like it is in the game.
    Make sure you export Fonts from the gro and into the main dir (back it up if you want) and remove it from the gro to avoid any conflicts with the new font... then replace files in there because it is easier

Sorry for the messy explanation, but hopefully you will figure it out
    For example I did a font just for test with extended+cyrillic charset just for test and it works) I used this layout with 1024 width and 512 height for the texture:

Code:
     !"#$%&'()*+,-./012345678
    9:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
    RSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghij
    klmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~¡¢£¤¥
    ¦§¨©ª«¬®°±²³´µ¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿À
    ÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙ
    ÚÛÜÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñò
    óôõö÷øùúûüýþÿŒœŠšŸŽžƒˆ°˜–
    ‘’‚“”„†‡•…‰‹›°€™*/ЯВЕРТЪУ
    ИОПШЩЮАСДФГХЙКЛЗЬЦЖБНМяве
    ртъуиопшщюасдфгхйклзьцжбн
    мЫЭыэЍѝҮүЇїҚқӘәҐґ
    -- Edit 3:

So......... it actually doesn't work with renames - create each font file from texture named appropriately (Numbers3, Title2, Console1 etc) and it should work then)
    Thanks for everything, I'll try it this evening or tomorrow. I'm back now from my house on the sea and I turned into Skinless Stan in 2 days...

All I can say for now is that I found out quite casually that FontGen saved pngs into Bin folder (I've already tried it about 1-2 weeks ago). Then I got stuck there, with only a png of 128x128 but too small fonts. Are you sure it will work with upper sizes as well?

shithappens
    All I can say for now is that I found out quite casually that FontGen saved pngs into Bin folder (I've already tried it about 1-2 weeks ago). Then I got stuck there, with only a png of 128x128 but too small fonts. Are you sure it will work with upper sizes as well?
    Come on) As you can see FontGen has options for texture size, 128x128 is the minimum.... (there is 512x512 which is optimal and SED allows up to 1024x1024)... it does not export texture but you can make it yourself in SED (convert PNG to TGA first)... and 1024x1024 is wayyyy more than enough space for any kind of font...

Ok, at last I made it!

After several tries, I managed to add Ё to russian layout last night. It only worked with 8 chars per line. Then I reduced font size to 7, shadow to 1 1 and padding to 0 (because they were too tall and lower parts in console line were not visible, so I wasn't able to see chat cursor) to better match with original console. Surprisingly, font is very clean and looks different from the original one (and they are both DejaVuSansMono; the only one difference is that with Revolution's tool the font is... in HD!).

Today I changed Display3-narrow and Display3-normal. I tested all Arial variants, but I ended with the first one because Arial Black looked too big (and it didn't show some letters) and Arial Narrow wasn't clean at all (bold or not).

For Ostap and other admins: there was an older version under system approval. You can remove it, I'll put updated link afterwards.

When you extract Fonts into Sam's main directory there is no conflict. I kept the original latin font map in another copy, created a Fonts folder there (let's say it is a 1.07 clean version without no-cd patch, fix42, custom maps, etc..., so the folder reserved to the fonts is only inside the .gro... here is where I made the first attempt with 8 chars per line, just to realize it wasn't a clean/messy version matter), and followed the steps from your tutorial.

Fonts folder created from scratch, only Console1.tga, tex, txt, and fnt saved in it once made them with FontGen, Notepad++, Paint.net and Serious Modeler. Obviously, I added at least 2 lines only for Ё in PersistentSymbols (I've chosen it on purpose).

Note that cyrillic alphabet on txt file was converted into extended latin (but not in font's png and tga, which I made first). This is needed for Makefont.exe (Angelo's tool uses it automatically after clicking on Make Font), because it doesn't recognize cyrillic font table (1251) in texts (it uses 1252, like the XVI32 hex editor and others).

The new lines became then:
    Code:
    persistent extern CTString jo="¸";
    persistent extern CTString joC="¨";
    and I can see them as ё and Ё from console.

Anyway, looks like the game will check inside already existing folders rather than gro files. There is a hierarchy in which extracted folders have priority over the compressed ones. That you didn't extract and is a part of the game, will be found inside gro archives.

-- Edit 3:

If you rename the .fnt it doesn't work because it still has its previous name inside the code itself.

When you open an .fnt with whatever editing tool (not only notepad, but also XVI32, MSDEV98 and so on...) the first line specifies the name of the file created and where it had been:

Code:
    FTTFDFNM   fonts\Console1.tex
    The first time I used MakeFont.exe I made a mistake and I generated the .fnt on Bin folder, and the code was:

Code:
    FTTFDFNM   Bin\Console1.tex
    I didn't even checked if changing code from an editor ("Bin" to "Fonts") would have been a working solution. I just deleted it and on the DOS App I specified to make the new font in its proper directory instead of Bin.

Anyway, thanks for your patience and your support, Sniper!
    I should say we worked together at this.

Come on) As you can see FontGen has options for texture size, 128x128 is the minimum.... (there is 512x512 which is optimal and SED allows up to 1024x1024)... it does not export texture but you can make it yourself in SED (convert PNG to TGA first)... and 1024x1024 is wayyyy more than enough space for any kind of font...
    Yes, I began with simple tables of 128x512 for now (maybe only Display3-normal is 256x512).

I can now read what was written on this message when failing to join TankisT servers as an observer:

Name:  SeriousSam 2019-08-31 17-07-24-28.jpg
Size:  225.3 KB

For admins: which is the correct section where to post newest version of my Ё patch for cyrillic russian fonts? Second Encounter>Tools?

For admins: which is the correct section where to post newest version of my Ё patch for cyrillic russian fonts? Second Encounter>Tools?
    this should do :
    https://42amsterdam.net/samforum/forumdisplay.php?f=123

in downloads - common tools i guess... coz its valid for both versions
    ....... Always Look On The Bright Side of Life

Quote Originally Posted by Ostap View Post
    this should do :
    https://42amsterdam.net/samforum/forumdisplay.php?f=123

in downloads - common tools i guess... coz its valid for both versions
    Ok, thank you.

On "Linked file size", do I have to write REAL bytes (thousands of) or just Kilobytes?

Ok, thank you.

On "Linked file size", do I have to write REAL bytes (thousands of) or just Kilobytes?
    bytes ....but you should upload a file (then its automatic)
    or give a link to actual file - not the forum thread link

bytes ....but you should upload a file (then its automatic)
    or give a link to actual file - not the forum thread link
    In fact I've put the link from mediafire. In "size" I wrote 41440, which should mean 41,44 KB (it is just 2 txt, 3 tex and 3 fnt files on a zip). You (or whoever else has check duties on Download section) should find it on "Common Files>Tools", uploaded yesterday.

In fact I've put the link from mediafire. In "size" I wrote 41440, which should mean 41,44 KB (it is just 2 txt, 3 tex and 3 fnt files on a zip). You (or whoever else has check duties on Download section) should find it on "Common Files>Tools", uploaded yesterday.
    nop ...stil link to the thread on the forum

Name:  201909047GlR64u1.png
Size:  47.2 KB

nop ...stil link to the thread on the forum

Name:  201909047GlR64u1.png
Size:  47.2 KB
    Whaaat? How did it happen?

Ok, I think I will give you a link in pm.

Btw, the introduction in the screenshot looks like the old one I wrote the first time (when I uploaded the old version) that was posted on SE section.

The last one is a bit different, there are some adds in the text and it is posted on Common Files. And I remember I posted it suddenly, no reconnect needed. This one counts, the older one can be removed.

Whaaat? How did it happen?
    there could be few reasons ..
    1. copy/paste mistake
    2. code gnomes that make a business out of it ...you know:
      • Phase 1 - mess everything up
      • Phase 2 - ?
      • Phase 3 - profit
    3. aliens !!

in anyway - file is available for download.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information