Welcome to the 42 Amsterdam multiserver.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostap View Post
    I didnt - zooming and moving when limited by samtrack .... (when enabled) - might still be jiggy for players that have prediction enabled (but it does the job )
    if you checked the graph carefully - you would see that it is an internal loop .... NOT affected by server stream ... so ..i cannot change what client predict

Windows office "Visio" ... very usefull tool ...

SendBehind - is nothing more than list of last actions (up to 3) that are sent by client ... (so your actions that are sent to server are: C , L1,L2,L3.... where C is current and L is last)
    I'm not sure yet how engine actually uses those ....any modifications to last actions had no effect on remote player.
    very much possible - it is a remnant of a functionality when they tried to fight missing actions...
    In anyway - having it ON or OFF - has no effect on game ...but does increase data traffic when its ON... (you'll send up to 4 times more than needed)
    in SE 10 - i see only code that saves them ...but no actual code that uses them ...
    There is even an action type "MSG_ACTIONPREDICT" ...defined in all games ...FE/SE/SE 1.10... also never used ...
    probably they wanted to sync the prediction buffer at some point ..but abandon the idea.

Yep ...not used at all ...

not sure about other games - but i just see what croteam did there ... and its nasty ...
    when you walk into the wall for no reason - you know why you walk just one direction ? .... coz of just few last actions ....and the closest extrapolation of your next position would be just move ahead ...
    function they used to predict is linear ... i wouldnt even call it prediction when you operate on just few ticks - they are not even taking in count the angle between movement and view or rotation of the body ...

just an example if they would

Attachment 6519
    Ok, then even SendBehind set to 3 could also explain those glitches while playing online (fake kills, teleports, need of repeating some actions, etc...), because you client are sending the same packet multiple times (the increasing data traffic you mean).

About ReceiveBehind, check what did I write on the other thread. I added the line and the game console didn't automatically delete it. So, not used even if console recognizes it??? Another thing they forgot to remove, I guess...

About other classic FPS's, I will explain this as a player who sees the monitor output... So, i I won't speak "technically"!

I was referring to the sprites strafe movement. In DOOM/Duke Nukem 3D/Quake 1996, for example, bots/online players sprites will move faster that Serious Sam frag player ones. You have to aim at them when you are NOT moving, or else it will be harder to hit them. At least in most cases. In Duke Nukem 3D, if you are playing it via eDuke32 with "Auto-Aim" set to OFF, it is very difficult to hit the bot wihile it strafes left-right and viceversa when you use Shotgun.

Soldier of Fortune online is the worst: you won't hit nor damage/kill the opponent even if you on screen see you hit him/her. 1 millisecond later he/she will kill you!

And my hypotesis is: old arena games use the same "linear functions" as Serious Sam, who knows...

And your last graphic about "Bicubic Interpolation" reminds me the functions I saw when I attempted computer engineering, 6-7 years ago. The subject was, how could I translate its name.... "Mathematical Analysis".... with a lot of those functions and polynomials. But they were like a mix of Arabic and Japanese for me at that time...

I think modern games netcode uses more bicubic than linear nowadays...
    Last edited by Marco; 05-12-2018 at 22:49. Reason: Those damn double dots in the wrong place...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information