Welcome to the 42 Amsterdam multiserver.

Need help from linux users

Hi dudes,

I want to switch from Windows10 to Linux ( Debian ) .
    Debian64 is working proper, Serious Sam also is running in Wine fine.
    But I have problems with graphical settings.
    I know, It looks like wh, but I swear, I have not installed this shit ...

Hardware:
    PC1: APU AMD A10-5800K, onboard graphic Radeon HD7660D
    PC2: CPU Intel I7-870, Graphic Radeon HD5770
    Software: Debian64, PlayonLinux with Wine64 1.8.7.2 and 32-bit-extension

I think, it could be a problem with the graphic-drivers, but I cannot and do not want to play with this bug...
    At the moment Windows and Linux is installed side by side, and I am playing under Windows.

Any solutions known?

please note, I am an absolute beginner to use linux.

If that is the wrong forum, please move it.

thanks in advance
    The best regards . Grandpa

"Internet is virgin land for us" Angela Merkel - German Chancellor

Hah, well... that's certainly strange. I have no clue, though. Linux is more AMD-friendly than NVIDIA,
    if I'm not mistaken, so you'd expect it to be okay in that regard. Maybe Linux gives free wallhacks for games lol.

I remember a few years ago, there was the same problem synonymous with a certain ATI driver and Windows.

Right, I see. Hope it gets resolved.

Temporal Agent
    hmm its not still fixed yet?.. i had same problem 7 years ago on linux...
    PC1 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5700x@4.6GHz | RAM - 64GB DDR4 | GPU - AMD Radeon RX 6750XT 12GB | OS - Windows 11 64bit
    PC2 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700x@4.2GHz | RAM - 12GB DDR4 | GPU - AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB | OS - Windows 11 64bit
    PC3 | CPU - 2x Intel Xeon E5-2683v4@2.8GHz | RAM - 64GB DDR4 | GPU - AMD Radeon RX 6600 8GB | OS - Windows 11 64bit

Does anybody know, have nvidia cards the same problem?
    My new pc will be built with a GTX1060 ...

I have a GTX 970 with the latest driver installed and it doesn't seem to have the issue.

Ok, last news
    This Problem has resolved itself.
    It exist only with openGl, with DirectX is everything ok and Sam is playable.This saves me the purchase of a cheap Nvidia card...

Thanks guys.

Hello! I've installing Ubuntu , and trying to working with it, but not sucesfully. Honestly I like this desighnt, but totally ruined my system. I don t know how Sam running, with Linux, may be similar issues , like Grandpa's. Finally results was ,low level format whole HDD, creating new partitions, new Win 7. Not all data was losed, I've transvered data from old PC HDD to new. I wish made new experiments , and playing SS with Linux, hope sucessfully.

I think, the best way to play SSTSE in Ubuntu ist to use "Wine" ( Windows-emulator) with the UI "PlayOnLinux".
    If you are using Ubuntu 64bit you have to enable the support for the i386-architecture, too.

First of all install "PlayOnLinux" via the package-manager "Synaptic". Wine is automatically selected to install.
    You can install PlayOnLinux via console too, with

sudo apt-get install playonlinux

Secondly you have to enable the i386-architecture (for Ubuntu-64) via console

sudo echo "foreign-i386 architecture"> /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wine:i386

Thirdly you need to mount the Install-CD of Serious Sam. You can use the CD-ROM or mount an iso directly in the filemanager.

Now you can install the game via PlayOnLinux. Follow the instructions of PlayOnLinux.

http://wiki.playonlinux.com/index.ph...ng_PlayOnLinux

plz note: in Wine-emulator this game runs much slower than in native Windows-OS...

good luck
    I hope, it helps a little bit

P.S. for me was the game crashing during the configuration of Serious Sam in full screen. In window-mode all became fine.
    Last edited by Grandpa; 24-05-2017 at 08:16.

shithappens
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    Ok, last news
    This Problem has resolved itself.
    It exist only with openGl, with DirectX is everything ok and Sam is playable.This saves me the purchase of a cheap Nvidia card...

Thanks guys.
    Ok... although Direct3D is much less optimized than OpenGL in SS... it was not supposed to be normally exactly like that but... Sam's poor optimization I guess )
    The FPS difference between the 2 is not small... but hopefully in frag it will not be as noticeable as it is in Coop)

P.S.: I believe Ostap in the past was trying to run servers on Linux (because cheap) but there were problems with that .... isn't that right?)

I think, no. Serious Sam Server are not using any kind of 3d-accelleration. It's only like a DOS-console. There must be other reasons to stop this project.
    Years ago I was running Serious-Sam Server with Linux, these were more stable than the Windows-counterparts.

shithappens
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    I think, no. Serious Sam Server are not using any kind of 3d-accelleration. It's only like a DOS-console. There must be other reasons to stop this project.
    Years ago I was running Serious-Sam Server with Linux, these were more stable than the Windows-counterparts.
    Ah ok..... yes the servers were not bad for most people... there also were different servers in different countries (even 1 in China)... so yes maybe other reasons for this to stop... which i knew (I was told), but I forgot them (

Temporal Agent
    I think Ostap had problems with the custom linux kernels.. that the companies was using and he couldnt install "normal" one if i remember ..
    so the servers was very crashy.. in short
    Anyways as sniper saying DirectX in clasic sam (tfe&tse) is not well optimzed and causes huge fps drops... e.g. for me (on windows) there is like 100FPS diference.. between these two graphic APIs....
    PC1 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5700x@4.6GHz | RAM - 64GB DDR4 | GPU - AMD Radeon RX 6750XT 12GB | OS - Windows 11 64bit
    PC2 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700x@4.2GHz | RAM - 12GB DDR4 | GPU - AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB | OS - Windows 11 64bit
    PC3 | CPU - 2x Intel Xeon E5-2683v4@2.8GHz | RAM - 64GB DDR4 | GPU - AMD Radeon RX 6600 8GB | OS - Windows 11 64bit

Thread Information