Welcome to the 42 Amsterdam multiserver.

Rocket Jumping Event

Hi everyone...

Got a question ....

I'm planning to create a "Rocket Jumpers" event ....but there is just few things i'm not sure about...
    Primary ... what criteria will be used to identify the winner ?

Currently - jump tracker can track 3 possible values ...
    1 - Max height of jump
    2 - Actual height of jump
    3 - Number of explosions used

here is the old development image ...

Name:  tUZd4bDJ.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  76.1 KB

Simple solution is of coz just accumulate actual jump heights ...and there you got the winner ...
    But i think its incorrect ....
    Coz jump complexity (number of explosions used) is also a very valid parameter....(not on Xenox maps of coz)

Anyone who is interested - please post your ideas about it ....all are welcome and appreciated.
    ....... Always Look On The Bright Side of Life

missing 4th parameter (what explosion were used ...)
    can be added if required .... i've omitted it coz i thought i would not be that relevant to the score...

*Cadis Etrama Di Raizel*
    This was the idea which i actually discussed with many rocket jumpers when i was active in 2014-2015 and the conclusion was that there are many ways through which a winner can be declared (depends on the type of rocket jumping event). Rocket jumping is a vast field of game type which can be classified into following probable types:

1. Race: An observer is required to observe the rocket jumpers at all times. This can be further divided into 2 types:
    (i)Speed Running: This involves skipping parts of levels by using rocket jumping and reaching the last part/door of the level. Again in this game type, players can have either limited ammo or infinite ammo OR they can use cannons and grenades in order to save some rockets if ammo limited. Players gets disqualified if ammo gets exhausted or found cheating (like using glitches in the game). The best example of level to implement this game type is Luxor.

(ii)Jumps (Type I): I used to call it endurance battle/duel. In this, players need to jump a certain wall a certain number of times and the player who does it first wins the duel. Ammo= Infinite (like for example: Wall= 32m Vertical; No. of times to be jumped= 5; Player 1 vs Player 2; Player 2 beats Player 1 with a score of 2-5).

(iii)Jumps (Type II): In this, servers will have finite ammo. This type of battle can be done between 2 or more players. The player who jumps a certain wall maximum no. of times wins the match/round. (example: Wall= 28m vertical; Player 1 wins the match by a score of 10.)

2. Score: You can maintain a separate stats table for the rocket jumping event. Observer may or may not be required to remain in the servers. Stats table can include no. of jumps done (jump will only be counted if the end point is 20m), max height of the jump done by a player in that event, score (in this you will have to assign scores for different jumps, for example player gets 4000 points for doing 24m vertical and 1,000,000 for doing 56m vertical express jump (i guess this can be hard to track but if this becomes possible then this rocket jumping event will be become more exciting)), ratio (which can be calculated with the help of a well devised formula).

I will like to finish it here. There are many possibilities of organizing this event so it will require more time. Further, this will require some rocket jumpers who will participate because rocket jumping isn't something which anyone can do (it requires a lot of training to execute a perfect jump). Unfortunately, there are no active jumpers at the moment. If you want to increase the participation of the players in this event then the event will have to be of a XENOX type (i personally don't prefer but it is fun sometimes). I will post some more ideas if i get any after discussing this with the other fellow rocket jumpers.
    [Rocketers] Sandy

~-[:42 A'dam Elite:]-~ *SANDY*

Quote Originally Posted by S.a'n~d-y View Post
    This was the idea which i actually discussed with many rocket jumpers when i was active in 2014-2015 and the conclusion was that there are many ways through which a winner can be declared (depends on the type of rocket jumping event). Rocket jumping is a vast field of game type which can be classified into following probable types:

1. Race: An observer is required to observe the rocket jumpers at all times. This can be further divided into 2 types:
    (i)Speed Running: This involves skipping parts of levels by using rocket jumping and reaching the last part/door of the level. Again in this game type, players can have either limited ammo or infinite ammo OR they can use cannons and grenades in order to save some rockets if ammo limited. Players gets disqualified if ammo gets exhausted or found cheating (like using glitches in the game). The best example of level to implement this game type is Luxor.

(ii)Jumps (Type I): I used to call it endurance battle/duel. In this, players need to jump a certain wall a certain number of times and the player who does it first wins the duel. Ammo= Infinite (like for example: Wall= 32m Vertical; No. of times to be jumped= 5; Player 1 vs Player 2; Player 2 beats Player 1 with a score of 2-5).

(iii)Jumps (Type II): In this, servers will have finite ammo. This type of battle can be done between 2 or more players. The player who jumps a certain wall maximum no. of times wins the match/round. (example: Wall= 28m vertical; Player 1 wins the match by a score of 10.)

2. Score: You can maintain a separate stats table for the rocket jumping event. Observer may or may not be required to remain in the servers. Stats table can include no. of jumps done (jump will only be counted if the end point is 20m), max height of the jump done by a player in that event, score (in this you will have to assign scores for different jumps, for example player gets 4000 points for doing 24m vertical and 1,000,000 for doing 56m vertical express jump (i guess this can be hard to track but if this becomes possible then this rocket jumping event will be become more exciting)), ratio (which can be calculated with the help of a well devised formula).

I will like to finish it here. There are many possibilities of organizing this event so it will require more time. Further, this will require some rocket jumpers who will participate because rocket jumping isn't something which anyone can do (it requires a lot of training to execute a perfect jump). Unfortunately, there are no active jumpers at the moment. If you want to increase the participation of the players in this event then the event will have to be of a XENOX type (i personally don't prefer but it is fun sometimes). I will post some more ideas if i get any after discussing this with the other fellow rocket jumpers.
    Hi dude.
    This is absolutely fabulous !!!...Thanx!

(i)Speed Running:
    - at this moment there is no tracker for "what player has ...ammo/health" ....only kill/death/frag ...
    but it sure can be added ...as well re-actions on "empty specific ammo"

About cheating ....
    "out of map" - there is protection now .. if there is more .. please let me know.

(ii)Jumps (Type I):
    Since there is no way to define what wall to jump over ...best way is to define required height ...
    Who first jumps X times the height higher than X .. ?

(iii)Jumps (Type II):
    Same as previous -
    Who jumps more times the height higher than X ....in X minutes ?

2. Score:
    Score for jumps - this is new but totally nice (it could be either per/meter or as you said - after some threshold)
    "Vertical express jump" - could you make a video (youtube) example ?

To round up ...
    Thanx to your post ...there are now few types of Jumper event:

1 - SpeedRun
    2 - Who first jumps X times the height higher than X
    3 - Who jumps more times the height higher than X ....in X minutes

---------- Post added 16-04-2016 at 03:22 ----------

Though ..
    SpeedRun type....

The goal ....is sure to end the map asap ...
    then the winner is ? one who finished most of the maps during the game ?
    Last edited by Ostap; 16-04-2016 at 03:55.

*Cadis Etrama Di Raizel*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostap View Post
    Hi dude.
    This is absolutely fabulous !!!...Thanx!

(i)Speed Running:
    - at this moment there is no tracker for "what player has ...ammo/health" ....only kill/death/frag ...
    but it sure can be added ...as well re-actions on "empty specific ammo"

About cheating ....
    "out of map" - there is protection now .. if there is more .. please let me know.
    Well as i said this will require an observer. There are some things which server can't keep track of. This is different than the actual speed running which coop players usually do (like finishing levels etc.) and is more like a proper race. The players will be required to reach the "last door" of the map (and not finishing the level) using rockets/grenades/cannons. The player with the best time wins. This is something which observer will have to keep an eye on.

(ii)Jumps (Type I):
    Since there is no way to define what wall to jump over ...best way is to define required height ...
    Who first jumps X times the height higher than X .. ?
    Yes, you got it pretty much right. You can put this game type in quarter/semi finals since it will be a duel. The wall to be jumped will have to be decided by the admins of the event.

(iii)Jumps (Type II):
    Same as previous -
    Who jumps more times the height higher than X ....in X minutes ?
    You got it right again. But instead of using time limit, i would use "ammo limit". The player will stop rocket jumping if ammo gets exhausted. It would be better to create another server for this game type with the following code maybe to keep track of the no. of jumps done:

int count=0;
    if(max height>=height of the wall)
    count++;

2. Score:
    Score for jumps - this is new but totally nice (it could be either per/meter or as you said - after some threshold)
    "Vertical express jump" - could you make a video (youtube) example ?
    Nice. I think it would be better if you do it per meter. Further you can keep track of cannon jumps (44m,48m,52m,56m) which will act as multipliers (just like no. of items collected in Legendary Warrior Tounament). Thus each player will have their own stats, just like the previous tournaments. I would personally prefer and see this type of tracking system in the rocket jumping tournament. It is more convenient than the above game types which i have mentioned. They seem to be more like duels.

Vertical express jump. Well if you are interested then take a look at the first jump of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbrjLTldfgw
    [Rocketers] Sandy

Well as i said this will require an observer. There are some things which server can't keep track of. This is different than the actual speed running which coop players usually do (like finishing levels etc.) and is more like a proper race. The players will be required to reach the "last door" of the map (and not finishing the level) using rockets/grenades/cannons. The player with the best time wins. This is something which observer will have to keep an eye on.
    Actually - in this case - server can do the tracking .... once player finishes the level - he's the winner...
    Usage of "out of map" will be impossible ...so there is little to cheat here.
    The only value in this setup is the time then ..... Shorter is better...

Yes, you got it pretty much right. You can put this game type in quarter/semi finals since it will be a duel. The wall to be jumped will have to be decided by the admins of the event.
    This is also a good addition... - half/quarter...finals.... not just single event...
    I'll add this to the event types...

Vertical express jump. Well if you are interested then take a look at the first jump of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbrjLTldfgw
    This is just multi weapon jump ... it also can be tracked...

So actually - only the duels ....(whith half/quarter finals) events are a bit different...
    coz it will require multiple steps within a single event....

All other event types - still bound to a single value ...
    (shortest time, highest number of jumps .... all just a single value)

1 - Speed Running (shortes time of the map=winner)
    2 - (ii)Jumps (Type I) (jump count> defined limit = winner)
    3 - (iii)Jumps (Type II) (largest jump count = winner) (time limited after map selection ? or when 2 players present)
    4 - Score (highest score = winner) (score per meter/...or type.)

All 4 types of events types... have to be created first...(those are all new ...)
    I think this or next week we can test few of them ....before launching the event...

About the Speed running type...

1 - I guess it would be kinda difficult to compete on some maps with multiple players ....
    2 - May be it would be nice also to have some sort of @start command to start the timer ?
    3 - How the results from multiple maps will be combined ? .... for example ...:
    User A finished maps:
    1 - with time 3:30
    2 - with time 2:30
    3 - with time 7:20
    User B finished maps
    1 - with time 3:40
    1 - with time 3:50
    1 - with time 3:10

Or we choose best time for 1 map ? ....and no duplicates ?

*Cadis Etrama Di Raizel*
    I'll suggest that this event should use only one map. In my opinion, luxor is the best map for speed running. Other maps are open unlike luxor so there is no point in speed running them. Karnak is another good option here for speed running. I guess for this, player has to be alone in the server otherwise the time cannot be tracked. It will be best if there is only one map for speed running. It would be nice to have a @start command for this
    [Rocketers] Sandy

I'm working now on "Event Manager" that will allow some automation for event handling
    Each event will have its own conditions and internal events...

I'll make the "Speed Runner" type first.... with support for multiple maps ....(in case more is added ...)
    To avoid the conflicts with results - "SR" event will select best time for finished map ....

As well the @start command ...
    It can be made with personal tracking time .....

PTT - (Personal Time Tracking) will start when either:
    1 - player issues @start command
    2 - player moved by X / Z ......further than 5 meters....

Also ...another idea...(Donno though how effective that could be - coz on some maps - map end is pretty close to the opened door...)
    I can add ... "End Of Map Proximity" tracker ....
    That is - when player is close to the map end by X meters.....

It could be used as additional indicator that player has reached the end...
    Notification would be posted that Player BLABLA ...has reached the end ......(without finishing the level..... unless of coz player runs into it...)

s4f
    Luxor + Metropolis or Alley of Sphinx

Thread Information