Welcome to the 42 Amsterdam multiserver.

Unrecognized 3D Accelerator

Hi there,

I often play Serious Sam by my netbook (at home we have another computer but it is not mine).

Altough it is an old game, my machine has a lot of frame rate drops.

I discovered Sam doesn't recognize my video card, cause it is not in the "ini" list from GLSettings folder.

When I try to optimize settings to make it faster, I saw in the left bottom the message "unrecognized 3D accelerator".

Name:  Serious Sam Second.png
Views: 0
Size:  252.1 KBName:  Serious Sam First.png
Size:  223.2 KB

My video card is an integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600.

I have a question: is it possible to make a "ini" file for this card to allow the game recognize and read it?

I searched for this problem on the internet, but the only one solution was to go to taskmanager>set line>deselect 2nd CPU. Result? The same: unrecognized 3D accelerator.

Here are the specs:

- Acer Aspire One D270 26-dkk (2012 model, I bought it in 2013)

- CPU>Intel Atom N2600 1.6 GHz 1 MB L2 Cache

- RAM>1 GB DDR3

- GPU>Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 (32 MB VRAM I found looking on the internet for specs)

In the "ini" list there are other Intel cards, but they are other models. To make the game a bit smoother, I selected OpenGL (on the screens I changed to Direct3D only to make the message appear; Direct3D is unplayable).

I know this netbook is not for playing, I had my reasons to buy it and I use it also for any other daily usages.

But I read that Serious Sam needs to detect video card to work better. So, the question is if there is a way to make it detect this card. Surely frame rate will not increase a lot, but if I had 40 fps average instead of 20 fps (with drops under 10 usually) it would be a bit more playable than now.

I can also write by myself a "ini" to add in GLSettings. Just know what can I do and how to make the game detect this card.

Thanks

Professional autist
    I had this issue on my my aspire 5375z>
    Try downloading/updating new drivers,it should show correct name of your display adapter.

Srsly,onboard graphics on laptops are biggest shit ever,even on 480x360 i have 45 fps on lowest details
    Last edited by Zdzichu; 18-11-2015 at 02:42.
    We are competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us - Is competing for the victory.
    Ayrton Senna

Immortals Founder
    In early '13, I've been trying to play SS on a netbook with a similar accelerator; it was a waste of time, kept laggin' as hell so I've decided to play 2D games there Seriously, those old Intel accelerators are more worse than .. GeForce 2 MX for an example
    watch unimaginable [2012]
    watch magnificent [2017]
    wait for ? [202x]

shithappens
    I had this problem almost for 1 and a half years.... i fixed it recently when i adjusted an in-game preference as showed above on your screenshots(for example Speed) and i made it for OpenGL. After the game resets the resolution 3-4 times to 640x and does Direct3D. But when i kept trying Apply button and 1024x resolution it finally did OpenGL so today i have 300 fps
    Don't say that the game is unplayable at Direct3D! It is playable, just need the patience
    I think there is a solution to it..just haven't checked...this: https://42amsterdam.net/samforum/dow...?do=file&id=37 is a pack containing some Scripts including Net Settings but also GLsettings. Maybe it will help! lol
    Btw, its saying SE only :|

Thanks you all, guys for the answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Zdzichu View Post
    I had this issue on my my aspire 5375z>
    Try downloading/updating new drivers,it should show correct name of your display adapter.

Srsly,onboard graphics on laptops are biggest shit ever,even on 480x360 i have 45 fps on lowest details
    I tried to update the driver (from 1091 to 1096 that is the LAST update) but it is still unrecognized.

You got 45 fps minimum or maximum? Did it drop to 5-10 for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeo View Post
    In early '13, I've been trying to play SS on a netbook with a similar accelerator; it was a waste of time, kept laggin' as hell so I've decided to play 2D games there Seriously, those old Intel accelerators are more worse than .. GeForce 2 MX for an example
    Yes, netbooks could be better for old old old 2D games. So I tried Prince of Persia Macintosh there and it worked well!

I tried also Sauebraten: dramatical drop to 1 fps when enemies spawn (in single player).

Quote Originally Posted by Supersniper98 View Post
    I had this problem almost for 1 and a half years.... i fixed it recently when i adjusted an in-game preference as showed above on your screenshots(for example Speed) and i made it for OpenGL. After the game resets the resolution 3-4 times to 640x and does Direct3D. But when i kept trying Apply button and 1024x resolution it finally did OpenGL so today i have 300 fps
    Don't say that the game is unplayable at Direct3D! It is playable, just need the patience
    I think there is a solution to it..just haven't checked...this: https://42amsterdam.net/samforum/dow...?do=file&id=37 is a pack containing some Scripts including Net Settings but also GLsettings. Maybe it will help! lol
    Wait: what about your system specs?

About the script, I was asking also if I can make a GLscript by myself. So, I opened this thread hoping @Ostap could read that and give me some suggestions.

PS: if I remember, I tried the GLscript you linked for, but it was unsuccesful.
    However, thanks for help.
    Last edited by Marco; 07-02-2016 at 15:09.

A.T.D.
    Sry that i ask this question but have you tried to change the settings in your intel display driver ?
    Have you set the energy settings from windows to high performance instead of balance ? (because you have a notebook)

Most users rotating the settings in games and forgot the settings of the os and drivers.

Good news everyone (quote), and Happy New Year.

I found a solution to this issue and it was so simple!

Quote Originally Posted by DMI-1407 View Post
    Sry that i ask this question but have you tried to change the settings in your intel display driver ?
    Have you set the energy settings from windows to high performance instead of balance ? (because you have a notebook)

Most users rotating the settings in games and forgot the settings of the os and drivers.
    It wasn't about that stuff. It simply was the fact I had to include my own GLscript into GLsettings.lst file. I opened it with Notepad++ and it was enough to include the name of the driver (as it appeared in the previous screens I posted above) with the (R) and inside quotation marks, according to the pattern of other drivers in list. Like it appears in this screen:

Name:  Screen_GLsettings.png
Size:  10.0 KB

And now, as you see, the driver is recognized:

Name:  Serious Sam Second_2017.jpg
Size:  274.1 KB
    Name:  Serious Sam First_2017.jpg
Size:  298.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Supersniper98 View Post
    Sniper, I have to re-quote you because I tried the 640x480 setting in Zeo's mod (Serious Tournament Mod) and it is a bit faster in main menu at least. I mean: cursor in main menu moves faster when I have to select game and change game modes.

But now I have a new doubt: I get low frame rate regardless Speed or Quality settings.

And this summer my netbook's motherboard got fried after 3 years, so I replaced it with a new one and changed the CPU from N2600 (1.6 GHz) to N2800 (1.86 GHz), plus I upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2GB.

In maps, for example Little Trouble, there are some zones when I get 110+ frames, but in the central ones it drops until 15-20 (or 18-25, or 25-30).

So, here it is the settings of my own script:

if( sam_iVideoSetup==2) { iQualityIndex = iQualityIndex +1; }
    if( sam_iVideoSetup==0) { iQualityIndex = iQualityIndex -1; }

include "Scripts\GLSettings\RAM.ini";

wld_bRenderMirrors = 0;

mdl_fLODMul = mdl_fLODMul * 1.1;
    mdl_fLODAdd = mdl_fLODAdd + 0.5;

if( sam_iVideoSetup==2) {
    wld_bTextureLayers = 111;
    wld_iDetailRemovingBias = 6;
    wld_bRenderMirrors = 1;
    gfx_iLensFlareQuality = 3;
    mdl_bRenderDetail = 1;
    mdl_bFineQuality = 1;

}

if( sam_iVideoSetup==0) {
    mdl_fLODMul = mdl_fLODMul * 0.9;
    mdl_fLODAdd = mdl_fLODAdd + 1.0;
    gfx_iLensFlareQuality = 0;
    wld_iDetailRemovingBias = 3;
    gfx_fEnvParticlesDensity = 1.2 + ((FLOAT)sys_iCPUMHz/1600.0);
    }
    My question is: which strings have I to edit?

I made this script last summer by copying and pasting some settings from other Intel scripts and some other ones from ATI scripts in the same folder (GLSettings).

Of course, according to what Zdzichu and Zeo said, playing via netbook is not a good thing (even if I can run Return To Castle Wolfenstein very well), but I noticed that this game can now run smoother than before. Even with fps drops.

Btw, it could be possible that Serious Sam is a badly optimized game.

*Notice: the new screenshots are now in 1024x768 because I plugged in a SamTron 75EM (it is an old monitor we have since early 00's, when we bought a Desktop Computer we had since 2000-2001 to 2011) on my netbook. After the replacement of the motherboard, I noticed that the lcd has become a lot dark, almost black. But it could be happened when old motherboard died; in fact, after replacement, I tested with an old lcd and it isn't dark. I can't use the old lcd because it is half broken, due to a forgetting: once I forgot my earphones on the keyboard (because I wasn't using them), and when my homies called me to go lunch, I closed quickly the netbook case. I suddendly noticed that it didn't close well, so I removed earphones from keyboard; and, when I came back after lunch, earphones were still ok but I saw a rift on the top left of lcd.

Thread Information