PDA

View Full Version : Need help from linux users

Grandpa
20-05-2017, 19:46
Hi dudes,

I want to switch from Windows10 to Linux ( Debian ) .
Debian64 is working proper, Serious Sam also is running in Wine fine.
But I have problems with graphical settings.
I know, It looks like wh, but I swear, I have not installed this shit ...
https://42amsterdam.net/samforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6216&stc=1
https://42amsterdam.net/samforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6217&stc=1
Hardware:
PC1: APU AMD A10-5800K, onboard graphic Radeon HD7660D
PC2: CPU Intel I7-870, Graphic Radeon HD5770
Software: Debian64, PlayonLinux with Wine64 1.8.7.2 and 32-bit-extension

I think, it could be a problem with the graphic-drivers, but I cannot and do not want to play with this bug...
At the moment Windows and Linux is installed side by side, and I am playing under Windows.

Any solutions known?

please note, I am an absolute beginner to use linux.

If that is the wrong forum, please move it.

thanks in advance

Jockant
20-05-2017, 19:58
Hah, well... that's certainly strange. I have no clue, though. Linux is more AMD-friendly than NVIDIA,
if I'm not mistaken, so you'd expect it to be okay in that regard. :P Maybe Linux gives free wallhacks for games lol.

Grandpa
20-05-2017, 20:03
I remember a few years ago, there was the same problem synonymous with a certain ATI driver and Windows.

Jockant
20-05-2017, 20:07
Right, I see. Hope it gets resolved. :)

Karel
20-05-2017, 20:40
hmm its not still fixed yet?.. i had same problem 7 years ago on linux...

Grandpa
21-05-2017, 09:23
Does anybody know, have nvidia cards the same problem?
My new pc will be built with a GTX1060 ...

Jockant
21-05-2017, 15:15
I have a GTX 970 with the latest driver installed and it doesn't seem to have the issue.

Grandpa
22-05-2017, 21:19
Ok, last news :smileyhi:
This Problem has resolved itself.
It exist only with openGl, with DirectX is everything ok and Sam is playable.This saves me the purchase of a cheap Nvidia card...

Thanks guys.

Petar
22-05-2017, 21:56
Hello! I've installing Ubuntu , and trying to working with it, but not sucesfully. Honestly I like this desighnt, but totally ruined my system. I don t know how Sam running, with Linux, may be similar issues , like Grandpa's. Finally results was ,low level format whole HDD, creating new partitions, new Win 7. Not all data was losed, I've transvered data from old PC HDD to new. I wish made new experiments , and playing SS with Linux, hope sucessfully. :)

Grandpa
23-05-2017, 12:38
I think, the best way to play SSTSE in Ubuntu ist to use "Wine" ( Windows-emulator) with the UI "PlayOnLinux".
If you are using Ubuntu 64bit you have to enable the support for the i386-architecture, too.

First of all install "PlayOnLinux" via the package-manager "Synaptic". Wine is automatically selected to install.
You can install PlayOnLinux via console too, with

sudo apt-get install playonlinux

Secondly you have to enable the i386-architecture (for Ubuntu-64) via console

sudo echo "foreign-i386 architecture"> /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine:i386

Thirdly you need to mount the Install-CD of Serious Sam. You can use the CD-ROM or mount an iso directly in the filemanager.

Now you can install the game via PlayOnLinux. Follow the instructions of PlayOnLinux.

http://wiki.playonlinux.com/index.php/Installing_PlayOnLinux

plz note: in Wine-emulator this game runs much slower than in native Windows-OS...

good luck
I hope, it helps a little bit :tup:

P.S. for me was the game crashing during the configuration of Serious Sam in full screen. In window-mode all became fine.

Supersniper98
23-05-2017, 14:08
Ok, last news :smileyhi:
This Problem has resolved itself.
It exist only with openGl, with DirectX is everything ok and Sam is playable.This saves me the purchase of a cheap Nvidia card...

Thanks guys.

Ok... although Direct3D is much less optimized than OpenGL in SS... it was not supposed to be normally exactly like that but... Sam's poor optimization I guess )
The FPS difference between the 2 is not small... but hopefully in frag it will not be as noticeable as it is in Coop)

P.S.: I believe Ostap in the past was trying to run servers on Linux (because cheap) but there were problems with that .... isn't that right?)

Grandpa
23-05-2017, 14:25
I think, no. Serious Sam Server are not using any kind of 3d-accelleration. It's only like a DOS-console. There must be other reasons to stop this project.
Years ago I was running Serious-Sam Server with Linux, these were more stable than the Windows-counterparts.

Supersniper98
23-05-2017, 14:49
I think, no. Serious Sam Server are not using any kind of 3d-accelleration. It's only like a DOS-console. There must be other reasons to stop this project.
Years ago I was running Serious-Sam Server with Linux, these were more stable than the Windows-counterparts.

Ah ok..... yes the servers were not bad for most people... there also were different servers in different countries (even 1 in China)... so yes maybe other reasons for this to stop... which i knew (I was told), but I forgot them (

Karel
23-05-2017, 22:28
I think Ostap had problems with the custom linux kernels.. that the companies was using and he couldnt install "normal" one if i remember ..
so the servers was very crashy.. in short
Anyways as sniper saying DirectX in clasic sam (tfe&tse) is not well optimzed and causes huge fps drops... e.g. for me (on windows) there is like 100FPS diference.. between these two graphic APIs....