PDA

View Full Version : News & Announcements

Ostap
04-05-2012, 20:04
Two new additions to the forum ...
actually its a combination server/forum

In game commands:
@admin - now also auto posts message to Forum Post Box ...
@shout - new one - will post message to the shout box ...(at the moment everyone can post ..but later - i'll limit it to registered users only (if user can be identified))

Barktooth
04-05-2012, 23:50
Cool, but the forum admin messages thing is spammy, already filled up the home tab :( I think you should put a limit for the @admin command, so you can't post duplicates.

Ostap
05-05-2012, 00:59
Cool, but the forum admin messages thing is spammy, already filled up the home tab :( I think you should put a limit for the @admin command, so you can't post duplicates.

agree ...
done

Cooka Monsta
05-05-2012, 06:13
Great work dude!

Может быть стоит организовать бокс для оповещения юзеров форума про то, что творится сейчас на серверах, а именно, вообще что пишут в чат? Тобишь пост + ip игрока (IP только для админов), чтобы можно было потом забанить за цензуру. Предлагаю тоже не просто так, не "от балды", а давно хотел сделать что-то такое с другими серверами, но ничего не получалось. А раз ты имеешь талан в этом деле, то смог бы организовать. Многократно становился свидетелем того, как на форумах поступают жалобы и просьбы забанить игроков за мат, оскорбления в игре. Админы, конечно, у вас хорошие, не спорю, но не могут же они сутками сидеть и следить за серверами? Тем более их, насколько мне известно, уже более 70!

Хотелось бы выслушать содержательный ответ от тебя, Остап. Каким бы он ни был.

Ostap
05-05-2012, 07:13
Great work dude!

Может быть стоит организовать бокс для оповещения юзеров форума про то, что творится сейчас на серверах, а именно, вообще что пишут в чат? Тобишь пост + ip игрока (IP только для админов), чтобы можно было потом забанить за цензуру. Предлагаю тоже не просто так, не "от балды", а давно хотел сделать что-то такое с другими серверами, но ничего не получалось. А раз ты имеешь талан в этом деле, то смог бы организовать. Многократно становился свидетелем того, как на форумах поступают жалобы и просьбы забанить игроков за мат, оскорбления в игре. Админы, конечно, у вас хорошие, не спорю, но не могут же они сутками сидеть и следить за серверами? Тем более их, насколько мне известно, уже более 70!

Хотелось бы выслушать содержательный ответ от тебя, Остап. Каким бы он ни был.

This functionality already exists ...and available only to game server admins

Cooka Monsta
05-05-2012, 13:04
Okay man, np ;)

Streng
10-05-2012, 19:07
wtf?!

Ostap
26-05-2012, 00:14
About those recent crashes today ...
My bad :)

Stats site and Forum - now tightly integrated ... and some major changes had to be made to my old site in order to work correctly with forum
Of coz not without some bugs ....
This morning coz of that - samtrack crashed on all servers - rendering servers un-managed ... Amazing - how annoying game may become if SPAMBOT is not functioning.

Anyway - bugs are exterminated:) ... only little flies are left ... :)

Ostap
03-06-2012, 07:18
Type frag or type kill messages to admin via @admin command are banned ...

Barktooth
03-06-2012, 19:06
Type frag or type kill messages to admin via @admin command are banned ...

Wait, the person who typefragged you is banned or the person who sent the message? If its the second one don't tell Jebac :D

Ostap
15-06-2012, 00:18
Good news everybody...

Recently i was contacted by Angelo - one of the authors of "Rockets Forever" mod that used on many SAM servers.
Well ...

With help of Angelo - i've implemented new ban system that works on unique user ID that assigned to the player at install time...
New system is already active for couple of days - and should prove to be a bit more effective than just IP check (although it only works with players - not with observers... ) and old system will still be used - if new system fails.

There are of coz some drawbacks - like players who manually changed they ID or players who copied game installation ...
In my current setup - only invalid ID's will be kicked ... duplicate ID's are tolerated ...but it might result in consequentual ban - if someone with same ID is banned.

Info that i've received from Angelo - allows not only retrieve user ID ...but also user position in the game
some major tweaking in last couple of days were required to allow me to collect this info frequently enough without server performance degradation
I"m not yet sure how user position could be used - but i've nice ideas about it ...so stay tuned...

Ostap
17-06-2012, 01:22
Some more ...

Since today - users that have Invalid ID - will be auto kicked ...

Invalid ID usually is a result of manual tweaking user profile file...(or copy from another system where it was manually reseted)
In any case - the solution is to use different player (index 1....10) ..that was not reseted...
Or reinstall the game to get the correct ID

Ostap
17-06-2012, 01:47
Some programs that allow user name tweak ...(coloring and what ever)
please check if one you have - does not reset your ID to invalid state.

in Upload section - there are couple of programs that should work fine...

Ostap
22-07-2012, 22:29
Good news everybody

I've made some optimization's today on samtrack ... particularly - database communications for each active server....
Its a minor change (lesser data is requested each second from DB ) - but it did unloaded CPU usage quite a bit !!!...
If before all those changes - DB server consumed about 30-40% of CPU on a busy day.
Now - its dropped down to just 3 - 5% (only the game servers ....this excludes any load for websites)

All those changes - should make all servers bit more fluent now ...
If you do notice change - please let me know...

Ostap
17-08-2012, 02:13
Good news everybody !

Due to recent attacks on my servers by some Russian dude that spammed each server with 6000 - 8000 messages (using multiple users and proxy IPs)
I've implemented proxy IP check - that will automatically deny connection if proxy IP is listed as spammer (there is website that keeps records world wide - www.stopforumspam.com (http://www.stopforumspam.com) of all IP's that were ever caught spamming....about 90% of all public proxy servers already been used by spambots...so chance of finding one that is not - is pretty slim)

After that block was implemented - i guess dude was pissed BIG time - so he started to crash all SE 1.05 servers...ok...
Today i've made auto activity check (every 5 sec) for all 1.05 servers - and in case crash or hang - server will auto reboot within 5 seconds.
As well - IP that caused the crash will be permanently entered into server firewall - blocking ANY connection in the future.

Barktooth
17-08-2012, 05:38
Good news everybody !

Due to recent attacks on my servers by some Russian dude that spammed each server with 6000 - 8000 messages (using multiple users and proxy IPs)
I've implemented proxy IP check - that will automatically deny connection if proxy IP is listed as spammer (there is website that keeps records world wide - www.stopforumspam.com (http://www.stopforumspam.com) of all IP's that were ever caught spamming....about 90% of all public proxy servers already been used by spambots...so chance of finding one that is not - is pretty slim)

After that block was implemented - i guess dude was pissed BIG time - so he started to crash all SE 1.05 servers...ok...
Today i've made auto activity check (every 5 sec) for all 1.05 servers - and in case crash or hang - server will auto reboot within 5 seconds.
As well - IP that caused the crash will be permanently entered into server firewall - blocking ANY connection in the future.

Nice man, those FUNFUN noobs are still trying to figure out how to stop the DoS attacks by that Romanian dude :D
EDIT: Just read PM, hahaha you don't mess with Ostap!

Evolta
17-08-2012, 12:08
nice :tup:

Ostap
17-08-2012, 22:36
Nice man, those FUNFUN noobs are still trying to figure out how to stop the DoS attacks by that Romanian dude :D
EDIT: Just read PM, hahaha you don't mess with Ostap!

Just tell them to block his IP from Firewall ...coz banning via game wont work ...

Barktooth
18-08-2012, 06:22
Just tell them to block his IP from Firewall ...coz banning via game wont work ...
They said they did, but it didn't stop him.. Now told the ISP to block him and it's kinda working but 2-3 times a day it still crashes somehow lol
PS thx for changing the URL to /samforum, for the whole day I was trying to figure out why I kept getting a 404 error.

CLICK
18-08-2012, 13:45
PS thx for changing the URL to /samforum, for the whole day I was trying to figure out why I kept getting a 404 error.

Same here xD

Ostap
18-08-2012, 16:38

Same here xD

lol ....sorry ...had to warn first...
its just some way to keep spammers away ...no more default location ...

Skyward
18-08-2012, 20:27
that romanian guy was even wallhacking :pitiful:

Barktooth
18-08-2012, 23:39
that romanian guy was even wallhacking :pitiful:

Umm, no he wasn't.. He played in first person. :ff:
[But yeah he wasn't even trying to hide it since he threatened admins with server crash if he got banned xD]

Ostap
26-08-2012, 18:02
Good news everybody !

New command @locate is implemented
Now its possible to find players across all servers...
simply type @locate player name

Name length is limited to 3 chars to minimize spamming.

Note: command will be available after all servers reboot...(no V mark present on server)

Ostap
30-08-2012, 23:30
42Amsterdam control center
just in case some one was curious ...

CLICK
31-08-2012, 01:04
Looks cool :tup:
So much wierd bungamunga things around :)
Black magic, spells etc? :shifty:

Ostap
31-08-2012, 01:33
its absolutely unfair - nobody noticed my yellow mayo bottle ...
its my favorite ...i had to fix it with some tape coz it was broken..and all mayo came out of all sides...

CLICK
31-08-2012, 01:40
First thing i noticed is beer and lunch :D

Ostap
31-08-2012, 01:51
lunch ? ..its a breakfast between diner and late supper...all'n one though :)

Barktooth
31-08-2012, 02:03
LOL now I see why the servers keep crashing.. they always choke on the food leftovers lying around on the table..

Evolta
31-08-2012, 11:28
go albert heijn mayo bottle

Ostap
31-08-2012, 16:48
Good news everybody !

Google map with currently active players is added to the front page ...

Ostap
31-08-2012, 20:06
Not all coordinates seems to be correct though :)
here is some dude drowning in the sea ...but still playing game ...

"...HELP ....I'm drowning....and that noob is killing me with a cannon"

CLICK
31-08-2012, 20:18
Nice work Ostap!

Evolta
31-08-2012, 22:32
Rofl

Tiho
01-09-2012, 09:18
i want waterproof cannon too, fire backwards and surf back to land

Barktooth
06-09-2012, 05:20
Hey Ostap, just something I thought you should know - I found out why sometimes a server goes invisible in the server browser. Some dude on FUNFUN said that when a player has the ":" at the end of their name removed, the server listing disappears! Weird bug, but I believe him. I think it's worth it to implement a SamBot rule that kicks a player if they removed that colon at the end of their name.

Evolta
06-09-2012, 11:06
Hey Ostap, just something I thought you should know - I found out why sometimes a server goes invisible in the server browser. Some dude on FUNFUN said that when a player has the ":" at the end of their name removed, the server listing disappears! Weird bug, but I believe him. I think it's worth it to implement a SamBot rule that kicks a player if they removed that colon at the end of their name.

Dont think thats true,... but we can verify this

Barktooth
06-09-2012, 15:34
Dont think thats true,... but we can verify this

Yeah it seems like a weird bug, but that dude did make a player on the server change his name because of it..

Ostap
06-09-2012, 16:58

How exactly is it done ?...
: is added to each name ...by the game ...

CLICK
06-09-2012, 17:56
How exactly is it done ?...
: is added to each name ...by the game ...

I think maybe he probably thought on changing ":" with unfinished color command in name editor :wtf: ?
For example: full color have hex code after color tag = ^c <- color-tag; 00ff40<- hex code description for green color; ^c00ff40 <- full tag for green
If you put unfinished color tag after your nickname, you can change colour, bold/italic, flash or remove ":" after your nickname.
For example: ^r^c-00f is white ":"; ^r^b^c-00f - white bold; ^r^i^f0^a-b^c-00f - italic with electric-flash tag, ^r^c-f0 to remove it completly by removi'n 1 hex number in code :) or just try to add "^c" you will get black text without ":" by default.

If i get Bark's words right, he's about to ask you to allow only fulltag nickname creation on your servers to avoid that, bug but somehow i don't believe it's caused by c-tag

Ostap
06-09-2012, 18:23
I think maybe he probably thought on changing ":" with unfinished color command in name editor :wtf: ?
For example: full color have hex code after color tag = ^c <- color-tag; 00ff40<- hex code description for green color; ^c00ff40 <- full tag for green
If you put unfinished color tag after your nickname, you can change colour, bold/italic, flash or remove ":" after your nickname.
For example: ^r^c-00f is white ":"; ^r^b^c-00f - white bold; ^r^i^f0^a-b^c-00f - italic with electric-flash tag, ^r^c-f0 to remove it completly by removi'n 1 hex number in code :) or just try to add "^c" you will get black text without ":" by default.

If i get Bark's words right, he's about to ask you to allow only fulltag nickname creation on your servers to avoid that, bug but somehow i don't believe it's caused by c-tag

can you test it ? (with that unfinished tag) ....i'll look into it tonight

CLICK
06-09-2012, 18:51
can you test it ? (with that unfinished tag) ....i'll look into it tonight

but somehow i don't believe it's caused by c-tag

Because i play all time with "unfinished" tag :P

Normal ":"
http://i47.tinypic.com/2vunhua.jpg

White ":"
http://i48.tinypic.com/23rrafr.jpg

REMOVED ":"
http://i45.tinypic.com/f448ox.jpg

Barktooth
06-09-2012, 20:02
Hm, well it seems many people have it in a different color, but it doesn't seem to affect the server being visible or not.. however, when it's completely removed like in Click's last screen, I think it breaks it xD But we need to do some serious testing, it could be just a coincidence.

Ostap
06-09-2012, 20:03
now it should be blocked

Ostap
06-09-2012, 23:37
after some tests
: can be removed with open incomplete color tag at the end of the nik name

^c-FF - (only 2 hex values for color - but it is allowed by the game)
^c-FFF
^c-FFFF ...etc...

even if one letter is added after it - game still not able to fix it ...
only 2 letters fixing the tag...

so
^c-FFR - (2 hex and 1 none hex letters)
^c-FFFR
still invalid tags...

with second letter present - game is able to fix it ..(although : will be colored still by the last open tag.....but messages after - should not be affected)
thus

^c-FFFRR - is already valid tag.. - (3 hex letters and 2 none hex)

I've blocked all invalid combinations i found invalid so far ...
Player will get short ban for 5 sec with message "Invalid Tag - Please remove color tag at the end"

Ostap
07-09-2012, 19:40

Tested - and no - no effect on server visibility ...
its just client bug - restart the game - and you'll get the full list again...(seems that visited servers falling out of the list ...)

Barktooth
07-09-2012, 19:56
Tested - and no - no effect on server visibility ...
its just client bug - restart the game - and you'll get the full list again...(seems that visited servers falling out of the list ...)

Hmm, I usually get invis servers before I even visit it once.. Start Sam, check servers, and nothing - but on site there's an active one, its just invis. Well that sux, I hoped it would fix it.

Ostap
07-09-2012, 20:05
Hmm, I usually get invis servers before I even visit it once.. Start Sam, check servers, and nothing - but on site there's an active one, its just invis. Well that sux, I hoped it would fix it.

Just use site to select the server (mouse over the server name shows its port)
I've had this since the first days of the game
and about those invalid tags - also thought it affect somehow server stability ...but no ...not a bit.

Evolta
07-09-2012, 21:20
told ya :P

Ostap
07-09-2012, 23:25
told ya :P

servers do crash now and then ...
and that part of software is enclosed in engine.dll ...
making any modifications to it - means disassembling it ....
thats a project for very long time ...i'm not ready to commit my self to ...

Ostap
07-09-2012, 23:29
as well - even if i do the changes to the engine.dll ...
those dudes will sue me for doing it ... -
so no go ...

Barktooth
07-09-2012, 23:50
Yeah but I'm too lazy to go on the site and try to remember the port each time xD
Sorry about the false info then

Evolta
08-09-2012, 13:48
servers do crash now and then ...
and that part of software is enclosed in engine.dll ...
making any modifications to it - means disassembling it ....
thats a project for very long time ...i'm not ready to commit my self to ...

Understandable, but it is a problem sometimes.
That they are invisible has been known for a long time, and noone ever blamed it on the final tags.
So I didnt think that would cause it. (since open endings are very much used)

Ostap
11-12-2012, 00:15
Good news everybody !

I've successfully started first remote hosting server located in USA, Chicago.
Host is located in Cloud and is a Virtual Linux based machine - here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon Single Core
Operating System: Ubuntu 10.04 x64 Bit
RAM: 1GB RAM
Hard Drive: 20GB

It is first of its kind (remote) server that is connected to main 42Amsterdam group.
Server is intended for users closer to second server than primary one.

At this moment there are 5 game servers active on it:

42 A'dam [REMOTE USA] COOP021 [HARD FF+IA+ Map Vote]
42 A'dam [REMOTE USA] COOP022 [NORMAL IA+ Map Vote]
42 A'dam [REMOTE USA] FRAG087 [Map Vote]
42 A'dam [REMOTE USA] FRAG088 [Map Vote]
42 A'dam [REMOTE USA] FRAG098 [Map Vote]

Server CPU and memory - still ok with those 5 ... but you do understand that this is a testing phase - so..if you have some issues - please let me know.

I've started only SE servers coz i've problems running (connecting to be more exactly) FE servers - i hope thouse might be added later.

BlacK SpiRiT
11-12-2012, 00:23
start italian server too :P

shooters_hero
11-12-2012, 00:46
and a Belgian server, Oh wait... to close to A'dam? :P

Barktooth
11-12-2012, 00:53
:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo Ostap :kneel::kneel::kneel::kneel::kneel::kneel::kneel:: kneel::kneel::kneel::kneel::kneel::kneel::kneel::k neel::kneel::kneel: Gonna go try it out now!

Edit: Niiiice 150ms latency and stable netgraph!
http://i.imgur.com/kd4JZ.png

CLICK
11-12-2012, 01:12
Finally you can pwn, Barktooth :)

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 00:12 ----------

i have 200ms there

Ostap, since we have now US and EU, maybe you should add Japan and Russian servers?

Ostap
11-12-2012, 01:21
start italian server too :P

Donno - damn americans are bastardos ...too expensive ...
in europe should be cheaper...
somewhere in center of europe would be nice ...

Niiiice 150ms latency and stable netgraph!

Finally !!!...server location might change though ...coz price is not very friendly at that provider...
but for testing is fine...

Finally you can pwn, Barktooth :)

Ostap, since we have now US and EU, maybe you should add Japan and Russian servers?

Absolutely ... if i can find cheap (and i'm sure of that) server in cloud - i will ...

eventually - the idea is to make floating servers - that will reboot here and there ...according to time ....

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 00:26 ----------

USA - Europe - Russia - Japan ...
absolutely gonna try to find servers in each location ...

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 00:32 ----------

and a Belgian server, Oh wait... to close to A'dam? :P

indeed - too close :) - we can use bike runners to exchange TCP packets ...

CLICK
11-12-2012, 02:28
http://i45.tinypic.com/nv5un7.jpg

Ostap
11-12-2012, 03:16
http://i45.tinypic.com/nv5un7.jpg

I wish to ...but i wont make this till 21 dec ...
so no end of the world yet... I'm personally and officially - canceling end of the world until noticed.

RAMBO
11-12-2012, 04:03
Ostap, you are a legend! I will not ask for a server in my country as it wouldn't benefit all, however one server on the west coast of USA would help just as much. I recall having pings of mid 200s there. Yeah let's hope the world doesn't end..

great news again!

Unskilled
11-12-2012, 12:21
awesome news, but.. if u host server in japan, who except me will play? yeah noone :/
russian servers - good idea, 1.05 is totally dead, so now russians will move to 1.07.. (not that good tho)
btw
@click
AFRICAN SERVER? :haha:

Evolta
11-12-2012, 13:23
bah just been spending all my money and now the world will not end :(

Well ostap, its good to have different servers and different locations. But maybe just an asian server will do just fine.
Otherwise the number of locations will be too devided and russian players will no longer play on EU server and visa versa.

Maybe if the number of players will become bigger in samrev, then there wont be a problem. Else I fear it can become bad for sam.

CLICK
11-12-2012, 15:24
awesome news, but.. if u host server in japan, who except me will play? yeah noone :/
russian servers - good idea, 1.05 is totally dead, so now russians will move to 1.07.. (not that good tho)
btw
@click

You never saw African players LOL? For example there is a log and graph, Ostap can check that. I saw Africans and south Americans playing sam especially from Mexico and Argentina in FE, but not that common as EU and RUS.

Oben
11-12-2012, 23:04
Good news Ostap!
Make it for Turkey too.I dont want lag anymore brrrrrrrr

Ostap
12-12-2012, 18:08
btw
@click

Good news Ostap!
Make it for Turkey too.I dont want lag anymore brrrrrrrr

Singapore - is possible candidate.

Evolta
12-12-2012, 21:40
How would ping be for japanese and australians there? good enough for a decent game?

RAMBO
12-12-2012, 23:43
How would ping be for japanese and australians there? good enough for a decent game?

heh if you make it there that would be awesome! Recently i had a ping of 200ms at a hong kong server, so Singapore is gold!

Ostap
20-12-2012, 04:37
heh if you make it there that would be awesome! Recently i had a ping of 200ms at a hong kong server, so Singapore is gold!

Its still in beta phase!
Servers are difficult to control remotely at the moment (alot is done manually now)...also FE servers - they do start but nobody can connect ...and i cannot find a solution for it yet.
But Singapore is a number one candidate. its on Indian cable ...so americans, australians and part of russia should have better ping. (as well all africans :)

But what is nice - is that i can run 5-7 servers on linux with single core with just 1gig memory ...that is already tested and confirmed.

Ostap
31-12-2012, 22:49
Happy New Year Everybody !!!

RAMBO
11-01-2013, 09:05
Hey man, great work on the SE servers. Any chance of getting FE remote servers up and running.

Ostap
16-05-2013, 00:31
Good news everybody!

Last few days i was busy with optimizing public/admin site
It should be mucho grande fastero now .. (Public site creation now takes 1-5 seconds, depending on changes ...
(before it was - 2-25 sec)

also there is "Active Maps" listing added to each server
It shows all used maps and allows direct download of custom packages.

Ostap
16-05-2013, 11:42
.. (Public site creation now takes 1-5 seconds, depending on changes ...

Correction ... its now 0.5-3 seconds :)

Ostap
18-05-2013, 04:48
Some extra additions:

I've timed all maps loading..
Thus now all that extra info is included in the site listing and @map listing

I thought it would be useful to know when to hit the F9 ...

Note:
All those times are valid ONLY when map is directly selected ...
Maps in sequences load much faster.

shooters_hero
18-05-2013, 10:37
Wow :O, Slaughterhouse 48seconds?
That's alot...

Ostap
30-09-2013, 00:41
Good news everyone !

Now when you feel lonely on the server - you can talk to the chat bot :)

There are 3 bots connected at the moment ....
1 - ALICE - The most awarded AI chat bot
2 - JABBERWACKY - an older version of Cleverbot
3 - IZAR - an intriguing alien life form

Of coz this functionality still experimental ... but it seems to work fine so far ....(sometime response from server might take couple of seconds)

Alice - seems to be bit smarter than jabberwacky ...but still misses some questions :)

Skyward
27-03-2017, 00:26
Server rules and ban times have been posted in a thread apart from the Administrator's rules, this way it's clearer for the users to read these and know what actually concerns them.

Feel free to ask for questions

Zdzichu
27-03-2017, 18:29
Will i have dozen of bans for double kill bugs? :P

Ostap
18-01-2019, 01:14
Good news everyone ...

The automated "ban/kick" in samtrack - were never 100% clear to understand

That was yesterday ... :)

Today ...We have a new way:
From now on - every ban/kick - will have a concrete reason why!

Samtrack will wait for player to complete connection - in order to send "disconnection reason"
Previously - automated bans were issued before player could even receive any feedback.

Though ...ofcoz :)... once you are banned - you will stil see the only ".....you are banned on this server" in the log

Tiho
19-01-2019, 09:01
dont work for me here .lol

---------- Post added 19-01-2019 at 18:02 ----------

the ai stuff that is

Ostap
19-01-2019, 17:26
dont work for me here .lol

---------- Post added 19-01-2019 at 18:02 ----------

the ai stuff that is

??

it only works for kicked/banned players :)
I mean ... previously - kick/ban was too swift for player to even see the reason ...
now - player should have some explanation displayed prior to disconnect.